Tuesday, July 9, 2013

We shoot off fireworks because WE CAN!!!

In Memory of  Lewis Tenney



So the saying " We shoot off fireworks because we can" was something I heard from a speaker at church and it really hit me hard.  I suppose I have never thought about the specific meaning or just how special having the ability to shoot off fireworks was until I heard that.  Don't get me wrong I am and have always been so thankful and grateful to live in this amazing country but the fireworks meant more to me this year than they ever have.  It was also a very bitter sweet moment to watch them because knowing how much our children and I enjoyed them... also reminded me of just how hard it is for Mike (my hubby) to watch them.  The loud booms, flashing lights, and crowds mean freedom to us but they bring back so many memories for my husband... memories of everything he had to fight for everyday for years in Iraq... We have the ability to to have the freedoms and moments of the holidays that we do because of the brave men and women who have fought for our country. So many have given their lives either by death, or by the injuries seen and unseen that they deal with everyday.  It was an extremely heartbreaking moment to watch my husband hold our 4 year old as tight as he possibly could, trying to fight back the tears and seeing the fear in his eyes but sitting through it knowing that Kayleb was in awe of the amazing colors, flashes and loud booms.   This reminds me everyday of what an amazing father and husband I have and just how lucky I am to have him in our lives and just how amazing it is to live in a country that has so many freedoms.  I pray everyday that we can continue to keep it that way.
     The firework pictured at the top was a tribute to a man named Lewis Tenney who passed away almost a year ago.  We are blessed to have his daughter and the rest of the clan in our lives.  He had a huge part in what our small community is today and although we never had the chance to meet him in person I know that he had a part in our coming here and being blessed by living in this amazing town.  He has touched so many lives and I must say that I am a better person for knowing the sayings, rules and acts he followed and having them to surround us still.  I look forward to the day that I get to meet him and give him a big hug and tell him thank you for having such an amazing family.












No comments:

Post a Comment